What if children were like flowers?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

MCC Tournament


It was a cold, windy weekend in January in Richmond, Virginia… as native Floridians it was surprising to see snow on the sides of the highway. With our car packed full of bracelets, earrings, and artwork my husband and I set out on a mission, to help children in Haiti through Child in Hand.

We arrived early Saturday morning to a convention center full of people. The sounds of buzzers and cheers swept through the building, while teams of girls hurried to their next competitions. We navigated our way through the crowds to find our table, “prime real estate” as we called it. We got to the business of setting up our booth: life size stand-ups of Haitian orphans, beaded jewelry, beautiful art pieces. It was a feast for the eyes.

Almost immediately the volleyball community recognized us, with many people saying “I still have my bracelet from last year!” and “I remember you guys!” Over a three-day period, my husband and I were greeted with kindness, curiosity, and friendly faces. It was such an amazing feeling to know that every dollar donated was truly making the difference in someone’s life.

It was an inspiring experience to spread awareness of the plight of children in Haiti. It was heart warming to be received by all so kindly, with such amazing support and selflessness. Many people shared their stories, of how they were connected to Haiti in one way or another. Whether their connection was through a mission trip, or even one couple, who shared that they had adopted a daughter from Haiti…and were in the process of adopting another.

We left Richmond Monday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a great sense of humility. We were so humbled by people’s generosity. What a wonderful way to spend a weekend: helping the children of Haiti. Thank you everyone at the Monument City Classic!

I’m also excited to announce that shortly after my husband and I volunteered for this event, I was lucky enough to be offered the position of Administrative Assistant with Child in Hand. Words cannot express fully how thrilled I am to be able to be part of an organization that works towards changing the lives of children and making the world a better place.



No comments:

Post a Comment